Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fit curtain rod into Hebel wall?

palakshah
Just Starting Out

How to fit curtain rod into Hebel wall?

Need some idea on how to fit curtain rod in steel frame structure with hebel wall. Curtain weight is 20-30 kg. What's equipment required.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: curtain rod fitting steel frame with hebel

Hello @palakshah 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fitting a curtain rod to Hebel walls.

Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the wall and window where you'll be mounting the curtain rod? Can you also please post a photo of the steel frame of the curtain rod? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then make recommendations on possible anchoring solutions.  

Do your windows have a timber frame around them? I only ask because 30kg is a lot of weight going onto a Hebel wall. Not only is the fixing carrying that weight, but it will have to deal with the forces applied to it every time the curtain is pulled open or close. This constant motion is like an added weight which will eventually loosen the fixings. If possible, I recommend attaching the curtain rod to the timber frame of the window.

However, if there is no other mounting points available, I propose using the Ramset 750ml ChemSet 101 Masonry Anchoring Adhesive Cartridge in combination with Ramset M8 x 110mm Galvanised Anchor Stud

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Fixing to Hebel by @AaronGuthrie 

Here is a link to the recommended fixings to Hebel. Hebel Fixtures and Fittings

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric 

It's stacker glass door with 4.1 meter width. Construction is steel frame with hebel wall. Curtain weight is 15 to 20 kg ( I over estimated). I believe we can have support in middle so load will be distributed. 

Regards

Palak

Thanks for that additional information, @palakshah. Do you already have the curtain rod and brackets? 4.0 meters would be the maximum span that our curtain rods cater for. Given the large expanse, you might need to look at two sets of rods, but they would typically also need mid-support, even for the 2.05-meter length.

15 to 20kg is a very heavy curtain compared to those I've seen, and you'd need to ensure the curtain rod is secured sufficiently. As @EricL has pointed out, Hebel panel is not renowned for being a great material to install items onto. Perhaps you could install a timber board to the wall with numerous fixings, and then you'd be able to screw the curtain rod brackets onto it as needed. This would spread the weight of the curtain over a much larger area than the supplied brackets could.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell

Appreciate your prompt response.  Build is about to finish hence have not bought curtain rod yet. If we split in two rod then weight is distributed so in this case what is max weight hebel can take. I read Hebel can support 10-12 kg weight.

How timber board in wall look like as builder wants install any support now. 

Regards

Palak shah

The maximum weight is determined by the fixing you use @palakshah. Even a single light gauge fixing can hold up to 11kg. So, if you have six or even four fixings for the curtain rail, they would hold sufficiently in the Hebel product. I'll include that fixing guide for you below.

If you were to install a timber board, it would be similar to this 110 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed DAR. To improve the look, you could then have a pelmet constructed over the top of it similar to the one featured in this discussion: Box window pelmets to reduce heat loss.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects