Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a height adjustable desk?

prat33
Finding My Feet

How to build a height adjustable desk?

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a IKEA BEKANT desk with (manual) height adjustable legs: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/bekant-desk-white-stained-oak-veneer-white-s39282678/

It's sort of a set and forget setup where I don't need a sit-stand desk. Whole purpose of going with this desk was the ability to adjust the desk height to suit my needs - which is ~68cm from floor to top of desk top. Main issue is the frame on the underside of the desk keeps hitting my legs which is quite annoying. Not to mention the desk is not the most sturdy.

My wife has a simpler and cheaper version of this set up which is the IKEA LINNMON / OLOV: https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/linnmon-olov-desk-white-stained-oak-effect-white-s49416347/

These are height adjustable legs and her table top is 150 x 75cm - IKEA don't sell this version of the LINNMON anymore. This does not have the underside frame issue, but again not the most sturdy.

Sooo ... I want to see if I can build a desk similar to the IKEA LINNMON / OLOV but with a more solid top and more sturdy height adjustable legs (do they even exist?). I'm after a top which is 1600-1700mm in width, 800mm in depth, and 25mm in thickness.

I don't see a need to pay $800+ for a sit-stand desk when I just want to be able to have a set (lower) height.

Would appreciate thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a desk with custom height?

Hello @prat33 

Thanks for sharing your question about building an affordable height adjustable desk. A possible alternative to a height adjustable desk is to use a Viviendo Height Adjustable Desk Riser Sit Stand Computer Office Keyboard Shelf. It is capable of holding two monitors a keyboard and mouse. I recommend having a quick look at this discussion - Simple and spacious desk by @robchin

In the discussion you'll see that the desk was made with a SpecRite 2400 x 900mm 33mm Timber Panel Teak FJ Laminated in combination with RapidMesh 70 x 73.2 x 6cm Black Santos Steel Tube Table Furniture Leg. A height adjustable desk riser was used in order to allow you to use the desk while standing. I have a similar device in my office and it is quite stable even when I am typing on my keyboard. Both the desk and legs can be painted a brighter colour if you wish to match your rooms colour.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  10 home office project ideas

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. It's more a case of wanting a lower height desk, than a sit-stand desk. Those RapidMesh legs are 70 or 73cm already in height without the top.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @prat33 

It is 732mm in height without the benchtop. If you are after a custom leg height, it might be necessary to build one from scratch. The general height of most office tables is around 700mm. Just enough room for your legs and the seat to slide underneath the benchtop.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to build a height adjustable desk?

Hi @prat33 

This is an interesting problem. As I read it you want a solid desk with leg heights that will allow you to get to 682mm including a 25mm top? @EricL is right that normal desk height is normally around 700mm.  Getting it at the right height is pretty important though for you - I get that. Have you considered buying a taller leg and cutting it down? That's what I'd be doing.

Have a look at these wooden ones that you can buy at Bunnings (I work there declaring an interest) - Adoored 73 x 710mm Raw Wood Round Furniture Leg - Bunnings Australia. Or this square one: Adoored 735mm Pine Square Furniture Leg - Bunnings Australia You could easily cut them down if you are a handy person but get it right because if you cut too much off the first time you are done....

Attach them to your benchtop with these adaptors: Adoored 3/8" Angle Plate Leg Furniture Accessory - 2 Pack - Bunnings Australia or these ones if you want a straight leg: Adoored 3/8" Vertical Leg Plate - 2 Pack - Bunnings Australia

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects