Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach TV mount to brick?

Bgriggs
Just Starting Out

How to attach TV mount to brick?

Hello, 

I have just purchased a tv mount from Bunnings (Sanus Full motion tv mount 42-90inch https://www.bunnings.com.au/sanus-large-full-motion-tv-wall-mount-bracket_p0247047) and have given the instruction manual ( link with manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1499709/Sanus-Simplicity-Slf226.html?page=3#manual ) a read which gives two options of wood stud or solid concrete/concrete block installation. In the booklet on attaching the wall plate there are caveats stating "minimum solid concrete thickness 203mm" & "minimum concrete block size 203x203x406mm" and also "mount wall plate directly on concrete surface (no wall covering"

I have the standard bricks found in Australian homes with a plaster finish. It will be on a double brick wall with a cavity (not looking to hide cables at this point). So the issue is both the thickness of the brick  which would be about half and also the plaster finish. 

The pack has 4 large lag bolts and with anchors.

My question would be is there anything I can do/modify to make this product safe or am I best off returning and finding an alternative product or should it be okay as is. My current tv is only 55in however the plan was to not have to do this again for future TVs.

Would appreciate any advice please.

16696437821322020965218368411906.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach TV mount to brick?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bgriggs. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a TV.

I've double-checked with the Sanus technical team, and the two options available for mounting that bracket are plaster over timber studs or directly onto a poured concrete wall or concrete block. They have confirmed that the product is unsuitable for attaching to a brick wall. This is likely due to most bricks used in construction these days having hollow cavities inside them. If the anchors do not lock into the brick correctly, the high weight of a 90" tv at full extension could cause the anchors to fail.

I've spoken with the Crest technical team, who confirmed that their Crest Large Full Motion TV Bracket / Wall Mount With Superior Control can be installed onto a brick wall. The bracket can support up to a 70" television at a max of 35 kg. I have a 75", and it's 22 kg. This sounds like a good option unless you intend to purchase a 90" television in the future. I can't see myself ever upgrading to a 90", as unless the content I'm consuming is in 4K, even standard HD can look a bit pixelated on a 75". I checked that it is suitable for hollow bricks, and it is.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need assistance returning the product.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects