Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add wardrobe ventilation?

aunowakli
Just Starting Out

How to add wardrobe ventilation?

I have a problem with my inbuilt wardrobes they get very musty and have high humidity. I am replacing damp absorbing units weekly. I thought if I installed fans in the cupboards that would reduce humidity by creating ventilation, do you have advise? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: wardrobe ventilation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @aunowakli. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about ventilating a wardrobe.

Is the humidity in the rest of the house high, or is it just this location? If it's just this location, then it would be worth having the area assessed for an active leak from the roof or the walls. 

Ventilation would certainly assist, and if it's just due to the wardrobe being enclosed, then a couple of Haron 450 x 90mm White Plastic Door Vents could help. They won't if the rest of the house has high humidity, though. A HPM 100mm Square Slimline Wall Exhaust Fan could be installed to either push fresh air into the space or draw out the moisture-laden air.

It's important to determine where this high humidity is coming from. If it's just due to the climate in your location then it would be hard to overcome. If it's from a leak then that needs to be resolved.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, thank you for your reply the whole house this summer has been above 70% no leaks, south side of house. 

That's fairly high for inside a house, @aunowakli, but it also depends on the outside humidity. If the outside humidity is lower than in the house, I'd suggest keeping as many windows open as possible to try to lower it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects