Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add plantation shutters to bay windows?

Liv95
Getting Established

How to add plantation shutters to bay windows?

We have two bay windows in our home that currently have these horrid blinds. Wanting to install plantation shutters - is this possible and if so how do I achieve it? Thanks! 

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to add plantation shutters to bay windows?

Hi @Liv95,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is wonderful you have joined and thank you for asking about adding plantation shutters to your bay window. I agree, swapping out the blinds for the shutters will be a great choice. 

Our resident DIY expert @EricL will be back online later this afternoon to assist. Let me tag a few of our knowledgeable members @JoeAzza@Marty_greenshed, and @TedBear to check if they have any advice. Due to the angle of your bay windows, there may be more steps involved, but you can always check out this great guide by Bunnings on How to mount DIY plantation shutters to get you started. 

We would love to see your space transform, please update us with photos along your journey.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Liv95

are you building your own shutters or purchasing made to order, if made to order, you need to measure all the bay windows in segments, measure each window, length x width. Also check is each section is square. This is the problem I had, this is why I made my own solid panel shutters, I allowed clearances all over to compensate for the wind being out of square, then I just made filler timber pieces to all for the out of square.

IMG_8029.jpeg

  

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Liv95 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JoeAzza. His recommendations are spot on. Just to add to the suggestions made, I propose thinking about the number of plantation shutters that are going in each bay and where they'll be mounted on. 

Looking at the picture you posted, it seems like you have aluminium framed windows. You'll therefore need a timber post on the angle where the windows meet. The posts will serve as mounting points for the shutters. 

To give you a better idea of what I mean, I've posted a sample sketch below to show you where the timber posts would be installed. The Plantation Shutters can be ordered in custom size so please make sure to double check your measurements before ordering them at the special orders desk.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Beee
Just Starting Out

Hi Liv95! :smile:

I hope you sorted your shutters out! :smile: I have plantation shutters but there were done for me. 

I am extremely curious as to what you do with this awkward space as I can see your looks as though it’s also in your living room and doesn’t have much room to play with to do the bench seat idea? That’s my struggle!

I’d love any input !!! 

Thanks, 

B :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Beee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what to do with the space in your bay window.

Let me tag @Liv95 to make them aware of your kind words and questions. Generally, the most common update used on bay windows is an informal seating nook. It's possible to turn the bottom of the seat into a bookshelf, shoe rack, and miscellaneous storage area. 

However, I believe the key is to make sure that the seat is not so low that it becomes very difficult to sit in. You also have the option of doing it as a straight seat with no bends or create angles so that it follows the bend of the bay window.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @Renowayoflife, @lifestylebymari and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Liv95
Getting Established

Hey lovely! 

It’s such an awkward space.. I hate it! The window sill is too low to turn it into a seating area. We currently have baby toys lined up along there haha! If you come up with some ideas please share! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Beee,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

I would encourage you to hit the Ask a question button and create your own discussion, sharing some photos and detail about your own challenge. I'm sure the community would love to help.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects