Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add glass doors to shelves?

Archie4
Just Starting Out

How to add glass doors to shelves?

I collect a certain brand of hand painted super heroes and want to put them behind glass.

I have no idea how to put the doors on the cabinet, do i have to drill holes, and do i do all this when i assemble it.

this is the Flexi Storage clever Cube shelves

sounds simple but i need help, Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adding glass doors to shelves

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Archie4. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing glass doors.

Thanks so much for bringing the Flexi Storage Clever Cube Large Glass Modra Cube Door to my attention. I had no idea we did a glass door version; I'm now planning how to use them to display my models. 

Here are the instructions for the door installation into a large Modra Storage Cube. It appears that there are holes already drilled in the Modra storage cube, and the pins on the hinges just need to be inserted into them. 

Please note that the Modra door and glass shelf only suits the Modra storage cubes. They are too large to suit the compact Clever Cube shelves and the standard Clever Cube does not come with the required holes for mounting. Also, the Modra are only single units, so if you try and install doors on a cube unit, the cube division thickness might not allow the hinge pins from either side to fit in. Something also to be aware of is that only the cube divisions are solid timber (chipboard), and the thicker side panels are hollow, so they are likely not great for trying to install hinges into.

Remember to follow the manufacturer's guidelines when installing the doors, including wearing appropriate PPE, including gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Adding glass doors to shelves

Thank You Mitchell

That's exactly what i was thinking,turning it on it's side, so not strong enough.

The only other thing is ikea have a 31cm sq glass door, so maybe put a solid wood 1cm edge around your cabnet first.

I think i'm making it to complicated now.

Thank you.glass door 31x31cmglass door 31x31cm

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add glass doors to shelves?

Hi @Archie4 

I suppose it all depends on how much work you want to put into your cabinet display. If you do decide to put a timber bead around the cabinet, just remember to sand it down first so that you won't have to sand it when it's attached to the cabinet. Double check your measurements and remember to use Sika 125g Sikabond Techgrip High Strength Multi-Purpose Polyurethane Adhesive to anchor the timber to your Flexi Storage Clever Cube.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects