Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a high gloss table top?

finishingthis1
Finding My Feet

How to add a high gloss table top?

I have somewhat decoupaged an ikea table (pretty sure it’s veneer)

image.jpg

and I want to add a high gloss/glass like finish.  No idea what product to use. Recommendations on best products and application really appreciated.  Thanks so much 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decoupage table top

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @finishingthis1. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating a tabletop.

It sounds like you'd be after something like Protite 750ml Glass Coat Kit, as it's perfect for craft projects and table tops and gives a thick glass-like finish that's equivalent to up to 60 coats of varnish. It's also high-gloss and extremely durable. I've included the application video below for you to check out.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tip Mitchell. I definitely want that finish but I should’ve mentioned that the table has drop sides, so not sure if the pouring epoxy will work? Not 100% sure I can detach the table top from the bottom parts.  Any other products or advice on applying to this?  Thanks 

I'd recommend you do several thin pours, which will be much more controllable, and you'll be able to brush the coating around where it's needed, preventing it from dripping over the edges. You'll need to fold the sides down and then flip the table on its sides to do each panel separately. You'd also need to apply tape to the edges, which protrudes above the surface to be a barrier to prevent the epoxy from dripping over the edge. The outer edges are not a big deal, but you certainly wouldn't want the epoxy to get on the folding edges, as the additional thickness will prevent the table from opening.

These epoxy products are the only real way to get that glass-like thick finish. Alternatively, you could do multiple coats of Cabot's 1L Gloss Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Timber Varnish, but it won't have the same result.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ah thanks that makes sense. Appreciate the help I’ll post the finished product once I get it done!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects