Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint a desk without it feeling sticky afterwards?

dannyrus
Building a Reputation

How do I paint a desk without it feeling sticky afterwards?

Hi folks,

I have a desk that is laminated particleboard, pic below, but I'd like to paint it.

I'm reluctant as my other desk is painted (not by me) and feels slightly tacky to the touch, if I lean on it for a few minutes my skin sticks a little to the surface and it feels yucky.

Is there a recommended way to paint (and maybe seal?) a desk so that it's smooth and nice and doesn't do the tacky thing? I'm fairly limited with tools, supplies and space as I'll be doing the work on my apartment balcony, so ventilation might be an issue...

Thanks a mill :smile:

Cheers, Danny.

desk.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint a desk without it feeling sticky afterwards?

Hi @dannyrus,

When exposed to heat, most paints will begin to soften and can become tacky. Without knowing what paint was used on your other desk, it's hard to determine whether you'd get the same result by painting this one. I'd suggest using a hard-wearing paint like Dulux Aquanamel and applying it in thin coats. If it's applied too thickly, then moisture can get trapped within the coats and prevent it from fully drying out. You could also try sealing the surface with clear acrylic spray. You might like to do a test section on the sticky desk to see if it improves the surface.

I suspect that a high-gloss paint might be quite susceptible to this tackiness as, due to its slick nature, it's going to suction your arm to the desk and stick to it. Perhaps you might like to go for a low-sheen version

Before you paint, you'll need to prepare the surface, and I'd recommend Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White as the undercoat due to its ability to adhere to difficult-to-paint surfaces like laminate.

Have you considered applying self-adhesive film to the surface? If you were after a white desk, then Boyle 1.5m x 45cm Self Adhesive Film - White Gloss would work quite well.

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects