Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I drill into a rendered brick wall 10 mm from the ceiling?

rocker
Cultivating a Following

How can I drill into a rendered brick wall 10 mm from the ceiling?

I'd like to install a Gallery@home picture rail under the square set ceiling. But the fixings would need to be very close to the ceiling and I'd probably damage the ceiling when I drill.

I'm looking for tips to best complete the job cleanly.

I have a hammer drill and appropriate bits.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I drill into a rendered brick wall 10 mm from the ceiling?

Hi @rocker,

At a minimum, the track and fixings would need to be installed half the thickness of your drill away from the ceiling. This would be the minimum distance for you to have the drill perpendicular to the wall and drill into it. Even then, the drill will be hard-pressed against the ceiling, so you'll need to protect it by at least applying painter's tape to prevent scratches. 

You could potentially try your luck with a multi-material bit and a Craftright 4 Piece Bit And Angle Driver. These bits drill into masonry and don't require hammer mode, and the angle driver would get you very close to the ceiling. Be aware, though, that the angle driver is not designed for drilling, and this method might not work. However, it sounds like something I'd have a crack at.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rocker
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc, I'm not sure about the Craftright angle driver either. Looks flimsy. 

Be interested in others experiences with that product, or alternatives.

Then again, those multi material bits come in 260 mm lengths and maybe I could use that to drill at a slight upwards angle to get the ceiling clearance I need. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

At a slight upwards angle could work @rocker.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects