Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I change color of dining setting?

jose29
Growing in Experience

How can I change color of dining setting?

IMG_5317.jpeg

IMG_5316.png

IMG_5315.png

  

Hi all,

I would like to change the colours of our dining table/chairs/benches from what it is currently; white and a light shade of brown to black and a darker shade of brown. I have included photos of what my current set looks like and a photo of the colours I would like to change it to. My question is, how can I do this? What are the steps I would need to take to change it? I would appreciate any suggestions and recommendations. 

thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I change…

Hi @jose29,

For the painted sections, you can give them a light sand with 180-grit sandpaper and then prime them with Dulux Precision Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer. Once dry, you can paint over the primer with Dulux Aquanamel in the darker colour of your choice. I recommend an enamel paint roller and a quality brush for the tight spaces.

For the top, does it already have a coating on it? If you drop a bead of water on the surface, does it stay put or soak in after 15 minutes? If it doesn't soak in, then there is a coating on the table that will need to be sanded back to allow your new darker stain to penetrate. Once again, take your 180-grit sandpaper and sand back the coating under a drop of water penetrates. You'll then be ready to use a stain and varnish on the surface. Choose the appropriate roller or brush according to the product's instructions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects