Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coloured lounge from a white space

HarrietArthur
Building a Reputation

Coloured lounge from a white space

The inside of my entire house was white when I bought it two years ago and I love colour. I painted the lounge and all the wooden furniture then added pops of colour with other items such as the locker, cushions and the wallpaper. I have painted the stove to put inside the fireplace but that is still a work in progress.

Materials

Various paints including spray paint

wallpaper and paste

Old furniture

Tools

Paintbrushes, rollers, edging paint tools, drop sheets, drill and keyhole saw, my dad

Steps

Step 1

I painted the walls of the room first.

C55A0EAE-791B-4D5E-8441-FF706B0AB2E3.png

Step 2

F411CE70-E08D-4600-9F18-201697233326.jpeg

Step 3

I dusted the walls and washed with sugar soap were necessary. I used the wheeled edger to go around any borders in the room and then a roller for the larger spaces. 

8AF6C0BA-257A-49C4-8A31-286C1F8F9CCC.jpeg

Step 4

3088A914-C68E-4163-A77B-B629AF65F187.png

Step 5

I unscrewed the mantelpiece from the wall and painted it. I also removed the false wall behind it to cut the opening, there hadn’t been a fireplace. 

1706A955-2798-455B-AC63-D6CFE8EDA1E3.jpeg

Step 6

BCDDAF2B-E70A-48F1-A5C0-7AB7A94D2186.jpeg

Step 7

For the time being I have replaced the false wall back behind the mantle piece. I need assistance to create the space to tile and then put the stove inside.

460DBBDC-52E3-45A4-9EB3-EE79FB3934D7.jpeg

Step 8

I purchased the stove secondhand, brushed it to clean it and then painted it with spray paint.

AF4EA22A-FC0D-4AE2-99A5-1C052383C79C.jpeg

Step 9

It took me a long time to decide which wallpaper but once I had made my decision it was actually pretty quick to put up.

391AABFC-7ED6-4F66-85A4-289925325A8F.jpeg

Step 10

Finally, I painted the old cupboard in colours I thought were more suited to the room and purchased the yellow locker, the blind and various soft furnishings to tie the room together with colour.

B4E87559-0B19-4667-B1DE-B76021B1B815.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Coloured lounge from a white space

Harriet - @HarrietArthur - it looks fantastic. Everything seems to blend in.

I guess it depends on having the right furniture to suit - as well as the colours?

You're braver than me. 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Impressive transformation @HarrietArthur! Adding a splash of colour has truly breathed life and personality into your lounge. You put a lot of thought and effort into each step of the process. From dusting and washing the walls to carefully painting the mantelpiece and stove, your attention to detail has paid off.

The choice of wallpaper adds a beautiful touch, and it's wonderful to see how it complements the overall design. I'm interested to know more about your chosen colour scheme and how it reflects your style and personality. What inspired you to pick these particular colours, and how do they make you feel when you're in the space?

Great work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I actually started with the wallpaper choice and then selected the colours for the walls and mantelpiece from that. I already had the dresser I had purchased second hand, originally liked the colour but found it looked a bit insipid once the bolder colours were in place. 
I spend too much time looking on instagram and Pinterest as renovating is my number one hobby. I am especially influenced by designers such as Iris Apfel who is all about colour and says, “ more is more and less is a bore”. 
The colour makes me happy and gives me a great sense of achievement however I do become frustrated at times with the mess and how long it takes to get things done. I have been encouraged by staff at Bunnings, particularly at the paint desk when I have sought advice which is helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects