Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Class trolley upcycle

SarahTBOS
Growing in Experience

Class trolley upcycle

This trolley was such a fun upcycle.  I made this for my sons class using 3 drawers I had let over from another project. It’s always awesome to when you can save things from going to landfill so that’s what I did here 😃

I first cleaned the drawers with sugar soap then gave them a scuff sand with 120 grit sandpaper and primed with Zinsser 123. Once dry I painted with three fun colours inside and out then added some Moveit small castor wheels.  From there I got four pieces of Porta Timber measured and cut to size and attached two to each side of the trolly.  I then gave the whole trolley a coat of Cabots clear for extra protection and voila it was complete and ready to deliver to my sons class. 

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8735.jpeg

IMG_8742.jpeg

IMG_8741.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

Materials

• Sugar soap
  • Sand paper
  • Zinsser 123 Primer
  • Paint
  • Porta Timber 
  • Timbermate Filler 
  • Screws
  • Moveit caster wheels
  • Cabots Clear

Tools

• Monarch paint brushes and scraper
  • Ryobi orbital sander
  • Drill 

Steps

Step 1

Clean the draws down the with sugar soap

Step 2

Scuff sand with 120 grit sandpaper and wipe down to remove any dust

Step 3

Prime with Zinsser 123 using either a brush or roller.

Step 4

Once dry I paint with your favorite colours  inside and out

Step 5

Add the wheels to the bottom drawer. 

Step 6

Measure out how tall you want the finished height of your trolley to be and cut four pieces of timber to height. Space the boxes out to your desired height and attach to pieces of timber to each side. (I countersunk the screws)

Step 7

Use timber filler where the screws are and once dry sand

Step 8

Apply Cabots clear (or similar) to the timber and the raw timber and the boxes if you wish. (Apply 2 coats) 

Step 9

Enjoy

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Class Trolley

Hello @SarahTBOS 

Thank you so much for sharing your class trolley project. It's always fantastic when any piece of furniture is rescued from the curb side or from the tip. Painting, reviving and restoring is an option that should always be considered. 

The bright pastel colours you've used really stand out and your idea of attaching timber supports to the box sides is quite clever.

Again, thank you so much for sharing such an awesome project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SarahTBOS
Growing in Experience

Re: Class Trolley

Thanks so much Eric ☺️. 

Sarah 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects