Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a holiday plywood table

Shorty
Getting Established

Building a holiday plywood table

Hi, so with holidays season coming in and a large family celebration on its way - we want to create some extra seating for Xmas lunch. 

Our current dinning table is 2100x1050x790mm. We want to make a makeshift table to add to this (and using tablecloth) to create the illusion of one long seamless table.

We've got EIGHT IKEA olov adjustable legs that will adjust to the required height. Our plan was to buy a 2400x1200x25mm non-structural CD plywood and get it cut down to 2000x1050.

We'll fasten the leg plates into the tabletop and then screw the 8 legs to them. We intend to arrange the legs on the diagram shown.

This table would only be used for a few hours and then dismantled until the next family gathering. The legs will unscrew from the plate and get stored in the cupboard and the tabletop would be stored under the king single bed.

We've never used plywood before so we're not sure if it's strong enough. If there will be too much flex in a piece that large.

Has anyone created a large table using 25mm thick plywood? Is it strong enough? Is 8 legs supportive enough in the way we plan to place them?

Any advice or help will be great.

Screenshot_20221114-002653~2.png

Screenshot_20221114-002412.png

NB the plywood will purely be a flat tabletop, we don't plan to add any additional support (such as braces)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a holiday plywood table

Hello @Shorty

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your holiday plywood table.

The Ecoply 2400 x 1200mm 25mm Plywood Pine Structural CD Grade is 1mm away from the project panels available at the store. It's safe to say that the 25mm is strong enough to be used as a buffet table. Because you are putting leg support in the corners and the centre of the table, it will be stable enough and not sag in the middle.   

In reference to storage, I suggest painting the panel to seal the timber and protect it from moisture damage. Unprotected plywood when exposed to moisture long term will cause it to warp and bow.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shorty
Getting Established

Hi EricL,

Thank you for your reply. Could you give me some advice on sealing the plywood too?

I know I need to be careful not to sand too much of the plywood during the prep, so what grade sandpaper would you recommend?

I've also read that epoxy sealant is best to seal plywood. We want a good waterproof seal but something that won't leave a lingering smell. What are your thoughts? 

Thanks again for any help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Shorty

I suggest using the Flexovit 240grit sandpaper. I recommend having a look at the Dulux EnvirO2 range of products as they have a very low VOC of less than 1g/L. Out of that range, the water-based enamel semi-gloss would be the most suitable for painting plywood. The Dulux EnvirO2 range is available through our Special Order desks in-store.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint plywood

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects