Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

1940’s sideboard upcycle

EmilyAlcock
Getting Established

1940’s sideboard upcycle

This c1940’s sideboard was in desperate need of a renovation. It was so damaged and worn, with the veneer peeling off in parts.

I stripped it all back taking all the old veneer off the doors and sides. Sanded it back, replaced the sides and doors with paintable wallpaper from Bunnings, undercoated it with BIN Shellac based primer, then Sprayed 4 Coats of Dulux Water Based Enamel through my Wagner Spray Gun for a flawless finish. Restored the original drop handles and replaced the cup ones. I’m very pleased with the result and it has sold already! For more inspiration and more pieces like this please follow Emily Alcock Projects on Instagram 

0EA641C0-B8C3-4D83-A14B-480032228656.jpeg

FBC3E944-9E97-4D76-8AC5-455AE38B6A8D.jpeg

EA582B72-53FF-4D84-B4C3-04E95C751ACD.jpeg

11996E19-B954-45F7-95DF-4DE0330037EB.jpeg

B28F1FA8-BECA-4311-897C-E5BD40185C56.jpeg

82D540B8-B1C9-46D6-A697-39D796038E79.jpeg

E8A124B4-D8A0-4829-B0B4-9787811D0B17.jpeg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: 1940’s sideboard upcycle

Hi @EmilyAlcock,

Let me first extend a welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are thrilled to have you join us and share your beautiful upcycled sideboard. 

Well done on creating a piece that fits your home so beautifully. To strip off the old varnish, did you use a liquid remover first and then sand? This is a great upcycle project and one of the categories for this year's DIY July competition. Would you like me to enter you in? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lovely work @EmilyAlcock, thanks very much for sharing. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans for all around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have a project to share or need a hand. We're here to help.

Jason

Hello 👋 

I sanded it back rather than using chemical Polystripper as I was using BIN Shellac as a primer. Thank you, yes if you could enter me in the competition that would be lovely thank you! 😊

EmilyAlcock
Getting Established

Thank you 😊 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @EmilyAlcock

That must have been a lot of sanding, did you do it manually or did use an electric sander? I am in awe of the perfect finish, it looks so professional. Have you been using your Wagner sprayer for a long time? 

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful upcycle piece.

Good luck.

Eric

EmilyAlcock
Getting Established

Hi Eric, Thank you 😊 I stripped the veneer manually using a blade then sanded with a Makita Orbital Sander. Yes I’ve been using my Wagner spray gun for a while, it takes some practice to get the perfect finish and lightly sanding between coats 😊👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects