Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which varnish can prevent timber kitchen benchtops from getting sticky?

dickcopeman
Finding My Feet

Which varnish can prevent timber kitchen benchtops from getting sticky?

Our timber kitchen benchtops get very sticky to touch. Cleaning them with cloudy ammonia or bicarb of soda gets rid of the sitckiness but it comes back within a few days. We have cleaned our rangehood filters and used only clean wipes to wipe them down but with no effect. 

I sanded and re-varnished them with a water based varnish about 18months ago. They need re-sanding and re-coating again so I would like to know which varnish would be best to avoid the stickiness problem.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best varnish for timber kitchen benchtops

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dickcopeman. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating benchtops.

Can I ask why the benchtops need re-sanding and re-coating now? The reason for asking is that 18 months is an exceptionally short lifespan on a coating, and I suspect that if you've used a standard varnish and not one for a benchtop, the wear could have broken the surface layer and led to this stickiness. Has the benchtop always been sticky?

A product like Cabot's 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish would suit your project. There shouldn't be any stickiness issues, but in saying that, it's not an issue I've really come across before. Do you happen to know what the product was you used last time? If it was one of ours, I could always follow up with the manufacturer to check if the issue has been reported before.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your prompt reply, Mitchell.

Cabot's 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish Gloss is the product that I used. I still have half a tin of it which I am pretty sure I purchased from your Rocklea store. It may have been two years ago but no longer. And I don't remember the bench top being as sticky before.

Some of the information on line suggests that an oil based polyurethane might be better. Do you agree?  Also, I did sand back the top before sealing with two coats it last time but I was not as diligent in cleaning and sanding as most of the advice says. I will be more thorough this time and apply three coats.

Dick

Also, would a satin or matt finish be less likely to be sticky?

None of the varnish sealers should be sticky, @dickcopeman, well, not so much that it would be noticeable. Can you recall if you stirred the can sufficiently before use?

If you've had issues with the Cabot's 1L Clear Gloss Benchtop Timber Finish Gloss then I'd recommend you switch to a different product. As mentioned, that product should not become sticky, but let's remove it from the equation. Maybe you'd like to try the Cabothane clear oil-based Poly or even the water-based should be fine. I use both regularly and haven't experienced any stickiness.

I'd suspect that with the satin or matt finish, your skin would have less ability to suction to the surface, creating a sensation of stickiness.

Mitchell

I normally do stir thoroughly and I will certainly make sure I do next time.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @dickcopeman 

Please keep us updated with your progress. If you need further assistance with any other project, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects