Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do with this shelving unit?

arfabuck
Finding My Feet

What to do with this shelving unit?

What to do with this salvaged shelving unit? Rimu with plenty of boards, ( and nails )! Enough to build a Tudor fold down dining table with linenfold panels and t&g backboard, similar to the pic. Any other ideas please?

shelving.jpghide-away kitchen table AND china hutch #4.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What to do with this shelving unit?

Hi  @arfabuck 

I might like to  add  glass shelves to lighten  up the inside,

You  can  take doors off for a book type shelf, or disply shelfes

put  bottom  draws in it and swinging doors at the top.

Really it needs to suit your living space and  needs,

Some times matching a furniture stlye works in your home works best.?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @arfabuck 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about what to do with your shelving unit.

I'm partial to the modern retro look in dark moody colours and natural benchtop and door finishes. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what I'm thinking of, but if you prefer lighter colours, it can be limewashed and you can still get the same effect.

Here are some are some fantastic upcycled furniture our Workshop members have shared :

Let me call on our experienced members @TheSparrowHome, @sallie24 and @daniknight4 for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TheSparrowHome
Having an Impact

IMG_9666.jpeg

IMG_9665.jpeg

  

Hi there,

Really depends on what you need!

Do you need a bookcase or a desk, or a shelving unit? 

I myself am very partial to the white & oak look (below ⬇️)

Grab some Easycraft VJ Board and attach as the backing sheet. Sand & lacquer the shelves then paint the rest white. You could leave the doors if you wanted to - just paint the handles black or replace with a long handle you like. 

If you like a bit of colour - you could go bold in green. 

* I see this hung on a wall in an entry, in the style in the photos, with coat hooks underneath. 😉 

Thanks Eric,

WOW! You are well above my pay grade. I thought of converting the shelves into what is now known as a "Murphy Table" as shown below the shelves. Back in the day I made these as Tudor drop down tables with turned legs and linenfold panelling. Nowadays they are in demand in bedsits and flats with limited space. Just an idea for up cycling is all.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @arfabuck 

Having had a second look at your cabinet, there should be enough panels to create your "Murphy Table". If you have enough spare timber lying around it should be easy enough to create the legs. 

Please make sure to post a photo update. We look forward to seeing what you'll be creating.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects