Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain or paint timber to give a great sonoma look?

Deb72
Just Starting Out

How to stain or paint timber to give a great sonoma look?

Hi i have bought some timber from bunnings and legs for  two desks i am

1000022547.jpg

looking for a grey stain or paint to give me a similar look to grey sonoma furniture.  this is the offcuts from the same timber i am using and a photo of sonoma desk. (They dont have a desk option so i had to click kitchen.) I am making to desks for arts craft and computer. (I dont want a weathered old look) appreciate any help from experts

1000022644.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stain or paint timber to give a great sonoma look?

Hello @Deb72 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about staining your timber benchtops.

The closest product I can think of that might match the colour you're after is Feast Watson 500ml Weathered Grey Outdoor Furniture Oil. However, I suggest testing it on some offcut pine first to see if it is similar to the colour that you're looking for.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - Bedside tables makeover by @Inspiredcoastal. I'm aware that it is not the colour you are after. But the effect that was achieved is very close to what you're aiming for.

Let me call on our experienced members @daniknight4, @prettyliving and @Inspiredcoastal for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Inspiredcoastal
Building a Reputation

Re: How to stain or paint timber to give a great sonoma look?

Hi There,

Another stain colour you could try is "Marita Grey." It's a Cabot's colour. I recommend having in mixed in waterbase tint base. I also recommend you do a test to ensure you like it first 

Cheers Kylie 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects