Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal chipboard on underside of dining table?

nikkig
Finding My Feet

How to seal chipboard on underside of dining table?

8B756C28-EB6C-488B-9A2A-456BD3727E4F.jpeg

hi, I have a dining table with hardwood top but a 4cm chipboard edge on the underside of the table top.  It is flaking.  How best to cover or seal?  The table edges are slightly curved.  Thanks 

14C8AAE4-8C2C-475F-A1B0-A54711609934.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal chipboard on underside of dining table?

Hello @nikkig 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your dining table.

I propose having a look at either the Zinsser 0.95L Peel Stop Clear Binding Primer which is a clear binder and sealer or the Dulux 1L PRECISION Sealer Binder White which is an oil-based white primer and sealer. There is also the option of using Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener in combination with Earl's 600g White MulTfill Ready To Use Filler. The wood hardener removes all the moisture in the wood and the filler serves as the surface binder for the lot.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as safety gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working with sealers and binders.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to seal chipboard on underside of dining table?

Thanks Eric.  That is so helpful 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects