Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove scratches and oil stains from steel kitchen sink?

lavanya
Growing in Experience

How to remove scratches and oil stains from steel kitchen sink?

Hi Bunnings Workshop team,

I am looking for recommendations how to remove the scarches on the steel sink is there any liquid or anything powder. The sink has got sarches as vessels has been kept harshly and colour of the steel has changed, how to remove greasy stains on the sink.

Thank you.

Lavy

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to remove scratches and oil stains from steel kitchen sink?

Thanks for your question, @lavanya and apologies for the slow reply.

Any chance you can take and post photos of your kitchen sink? That will help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts and community members get a better idea of your sink's condition, enabling them to provide more tailored suggestions. 

In the meantime, let me also tag @Nailbag@TedBear and @Tyro in case they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lavanya,

It sounds like Bar Keepers Friend 595g Cleanser & Polish Powder would assist with the staining and mild scratching. Any deeper scratches would need to be sanded out of the surface with progressively higher grit sandpaper before polishing. Another option is to try Autosol 75ml Chrome And Metal Polish and use the Ryobi 90mm 3-Piece Polishing Pad Set. This is a super-handy kit if you have a drill. 

As @Akanksha mentioned, some images of the areas of concern would be helpful. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

lavanya
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Many apologies for delay attached are the pics.

IMG_5804.jpgIMG_5802 (1).jpgIMG_6134.jpg

The kitchen sink one has one pic with the small dark scratches which is here and there in the sink not a spread.

I have attached my stove tops pics, burners metal is getting stripped off or rusted I'm unsure ,they are oil grease marks on the burner which I 'm not able to remove with normal cleanser, I'm unsure if I have to use Ajax powder . Can I request you to pls advice .

Thanks

Lavy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lavanya,

It looks like the Bar Keepers Friend 595g Cleanser & Polish Powder would help you polish out the marks on the sink. The mark on the stove top looks a bit greasy, so a product like Gumption would assist with removing it if it is stubborn.

The burner ring can't be cleaned, as rust is appearing. That's fairly normal for cast-oil burner rings, and it's a similar issue that occurs with cast iron pans. I'm unaware of a technique to prevent this rust, so you might like to contact the stove manufacturer to ask if they have any tips or suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects