Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-attach hanging breakfast bar?

StevieO
Finding My Feet

How to re-attach hanging breakfast bar?

We have a stylish breakfast bar in our kitchen. It is a different material and colour to the kicthen cabinets.

It is/was attached to the kicthen counter with glue. We've had no problem with it in years, until I came back from a trip a few days ago and found it had come unstuck, and fallen. Thankfully the breakfast tools prevented it from crashing into the floor tile.

It is an extremely heavy piece, possibly granite. I struggled to move it alone, and would certainly need help re-attaching.

I need to reattach it, but want to make sure I use the right material/glue.

Could I ask the experts her to advise. I've attached some pictures.This is how it looked fixed on.This is how it looked fixed on.This is what I came home to when it fell.This is what I came home to when it fell.This is the reverse showing the glue which was attached about 10 years ago.This is the reverse showing the glue which was attached about 10 years ago.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-attach hanging breakfast bar counter

Hello @StevieO 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about fixing your breakfast bar.

It's good to hear that no one was injured when your breakfast bar failed. In this particular instance, I recommend engaging the services of a professional stone top repair person. 

The adhesives used on stone tops are quite special and in this particular situation it has to withstand pulling forces rather than a pushing force. I can understand that it is very tempting to use masonry adhesive, but you have to keep in mind that your stone top surface is not porous and would render the adhesive useless.

There is also the issue of temporary timber framing. It needs to be built at exactly the correct height so that the breakfast bar is level to your island. 

Another option is to contact the stone top contractor who built the breakfast bar for you. Perhaps they might have a repair policy you can avail of. 

The most important part of course is that the repair was done by a professional and is covered by a warranty. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric     

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Re-attach hanging breakfast bar counter

Hi @EricL. Thank you so much for the welcome and your thoughtful response. I will look out for a stone top repair person.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects