Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make bin drawers for kitchen cupboard?

SM3008
Just Starting Out

How to make bin drawers for kitchen cupboard?

Hi there, I’m keen to convert my existing kitchen cupboard with a swing door to a pull out drawer solution for bins maybe with one layer for bins and (bonus points)  another drawer.  It’s 

530W x 700H x 540D.  Ideally I’d like to repurpose the existing door.  I’ve seen some great discussions here with new doors but not the existing door that I can see?  Thanks in advance 

IMG_6104.jpeg

IMG_6105.jpeg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Convert kitchen cupboard to bin drawers

Hi @SM3008,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop, it's great to have you here!

May I please bring @EricL into this conversation, as he is quite experienced in kitchen cabinets.

Surely amongst us all, we should be able to come up with a plan to get you sorted.

First off, what I'm thinking is a track system of 2 sets of tracks (upper and lower) inside the cupboard that the slide out cupboard will run on,

this will require extra timber sheeting to form the bottom of the "tray" and the sides of the pull-out part. if you follow what I'm saying.

You attach your front door to the end of the "carriage", so that when you push the drawer all the way back in, it looks like a standard cupboard door, is this what you are trying to achieve?

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Convert kitchen cupboard to bin drawers

Hello @SM3008 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about making bin drawers for your cupboard.

The good news is that one of our members has recently asked this very same question. I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to create a slide-out bin cupboard? by @lockers. You'll notice in the conversation that I proposed a pull-out bin cabinet made of MDF. 

I suggest taking measurements of the cabinet and the top size of your bins. Once you have your measurements, I suggest adjusting the sizes I've indicated on the cabinet plan to suit your needs. Once you've done the plan, you'll be able to tell if both bins will fit in the proposed drawer.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects