Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix floor?

mitch66
Finding My Feet

How to fix floor?

16866124719562402094466099670354.jpg

what flooring is this and what do I replace it with? Floor is sloping at end of kitchen and is deteriorating 

16866125462333235722214700300381.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix floor?

Hello @mitch66 

I'm going to have to ask you to do a little experiment with your existing floor. If you have some sandpaper, can you please find a small corner of your floor and start sanding it until the paint comes off? From that point you'll be able to tell if it's timber or a form of fibre cement sheeting. 

It's not necessary to sand a large area we just need to see what kind of sanding dust it produces and what it looks like underneath the paint. Once we've established what kind of material it is, you now have the choice of either removing it, painting over it or putting new flooring above it.  

If you remove it, you'll need to add matching timber floor panels to the area. It's difficult to tell what it might look like once you sand its surface and paint over it. But if you put new flooring over it, you need to make sure that it's level with the existing flooring.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects