Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracked wooden kitchen cabinet?

Chat
Growing in Experience

How to fix cracked wooden kitchen cabinet?

Hi all,

1000010742.jpg

1000010740.jpg

1000010741.jpg

1000010737.jpg

   

1000010738.jpg

Need some assistance with how I might be able to retifiy the cracking that is appearing in our corner kitchen cabinet.

The red circled show where cracks are. Appearing both from below and above. The bi-fold corner hinge when being swung open over time has put pressure on the panel and its staring to crack. I suspect that in long term it might need to be completely replaced but panel is still in decent shape currently so hoping it can be salvaged. Wood glue? Open to Al suggestion. The panel isn't thick enough to nail it. Nailing will most certainty crack the panel.

Thanks in advance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cracked wooden kitchen cabinet?

Hi @Chat,

You'll find that the crack isn't large enough to have glue inserted into it. You might have success if you can open it further, insert the glue and clamp it back shut.

You could install three mending brackets across the crack at the top, middle, and bottom as a temporary solution that would likely last several years. This will bridge the area and hopefully provide the support needed to prevent the crack from worsening. Just make sure the included screw are not so long as to penetrate the front face of the door.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects