Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix chipped laminex benchtop?

jade17l
Just Starting Out

How to fix chipped laminex benchtop?

 Hi all 

need to fix a bench top that has a chip in it trying to DIY where to start please 

IMG_1862.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix chipped laminex benchtop?

Hi @jade17l,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us. 

Apologies for the slow reply. We didn't have our usual resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert on the site over the weekend due to unexpected leave. 

Do you have the chipped piece from your benchtop? Or do you know the benchtop's manufacturer and/or the colour?

If not, I suspect this is going to be a challenging repair. As @MitchellMc mentioned on this similar post, with benchtop chips it is always best to contact the manufacturer to determine if any colour-matched touchup products can be purchased. Failing that, you'd be looking at employing the services of a professional that deals with damaged benchtops to perform the repair. Any D.I.Y. repair of the chip will likely be quite noticeable, and it's unlikely that you could disguise its appearance entirely. 

Please let us know,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix chipped laminex benchtop?

Hello @jade17l 

I agree with Jason's assessment, this is going to be a challenging repair as trying to match the finish on your benchtop is going to very difficult specially if it has highlights and colour transitions in it. If you are after a quick patch, I propose having a look at Selleys 50g Knead It Multi Purpose Epoxy Putty.

The epoxy putty dries in a grey colour so it will stand out on your dark benchtop. It is possible to paint over it but eventually the paint will chip and peel off. My best advice is to mix only what you need and to mix the putty very well before you push it into the damaged area.

If your benchtop layout is not too extensive, I suggest having a look at the Practa 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Timber Benchtop. Perhaps it's worth exploring the possibility of changing your benchtop into a timber one. It's easier to repair and is much more tolerant of damages.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects