Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

nfount
Finding My Feet

How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

Hi I was hoping you could tell me an easy and cost effective way to patch up this small burn mark on a white laminate bench top, I have included a coin in the image to show a size comparison. Ta

image.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to fix a small hole on laminate benchtop

Hi @nfount 

-The ultimate fix is  replacing the laminate sheeting but  I havnt seen stocks of laminate any where  these days.

- Replace the bench top there are a bunch of bench tops avaliable at bunnings to choose from. You need the similar sizes for starters.

Repair the laminate as best as possible

I would try scratching that black off and out  back to what ever color is underneath the  black burn mark. I might use butter knife as a scraper point downwards.I hope  it will go white.

Plan B mix up some araldite any type and mix in a couple drops of acryilic white paint (with a whisker  of yellow) so the mixed  araldite looks white. 

Fill the hole  with white araldite and then cover the  hole with  clear sticky tape stretched across this will give a flatter shiny gloss finish hopefully level with  the bench top height. and no sanding required.

If  sanding required use 1200 gt wet and dry sand paper,  Wet the sand  paper with water and the bench top to and in small circles only on the repair spot sand back any lumps .

@EricL may know some more ready made purpose products on hand at bunnings to suit this purpose.

Hope this helps you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

Welcome to the community @nfount.

Great to see you get some helpful advice from @Jewelleryrescue. He is correct that replacing might be the only way to get a perfect result. But there are other techniques you might like to try as suggested by our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL in the discussion How to fix a burn mark on benchtop laminate? as well as the Best Advice article How to repair a damaged laminate benchtop?

Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: how to fix a small hole on laminate benchtop

Ta for your help it will have to be plan b i think

Ta Jason I will check them out. Any advice or tips on the best products to use are greatly appreciated @EricL 

Hi @nfount 

There is a bench top  white or black  repair kit I never used it as the cost of it I prefer replacing the actual top but that isnt everyones skill level as  many factors are involved.

Rust-Oleum Diamond White Benchtop Transformation Kit

3.6 (9)

I/N: 1370084

$249

• Affordable alternative to messy and expensive countertop demolition
  • Easy to use, no special skills required
  • Ultimate durability
  • HomeShield antimicrobial protection
  • Modern gloss finish
Replace those dirty, dingy or just plain dated benchtops without the cost and mess of total demolition. Rust-Oleum Benchtop Transformations makes it so easy anyone can do it. In one weekend you can completely transform the look of your benchtops into the look of granite.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nfount,

I see @EricL has recommended some products in the discussion How to fix a burn mark on benchtop laminate? If you need for suggestions or advice please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects