Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover gap left after new oven installation?

thanh22
Finding My Feet

How to cover gap left after new oven installation?

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a new oven which is shorter than my old one. I wish to lift the oven so that the gap is underneath the oven rather than on top then use some sort of panel to close it up.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about doing this?

Photos attached.

Much appreciated.

IMG-20230204-WA0000.jpgIMG-20230204-WA0001.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover gap left after new oven installation?

Hello @thanh22 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about covering the gap in your oven base cabinet.

I suggest having a look at your old oven and see if there were timber legs attached to the bottom. If there were, I suggest removing them from the old oven and using them to increase the height of your existing oven. Ideally, the oven must have a gap both at the top and bottom of the unit for ventilation. I don't recommend pushing the unit all the way to the top of the cabinet.

However, if there are no timber legs, I suggest having a look at 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m as possible legs for the oven. I suggest having a look at your oven manual so that you can find out where the ideal position is for the timber legs. In regards to the oven front panels, I suggest using Dressed Pine Timber. I recommend double-checking your measurements and choosing the panel that is the closest to the size you need.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how the timber is supposed to be positioned. If you have any questions about the assembly, please let me know. The measurements I've placed in the sketch are for reference only, make sure to adjust them to your needs.

Be advised that your oven is now a live-connected electrical appliance make sure to turn off the power to the unit before you start touching or moving it. If you are unsure of the power switch location, please speak to your electrician before making any changes. Make sure to wear proper safety equipment such as safety gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working on your oven cabinet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi EricL,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. Your answer was very helpful.

Are you able to suggest a material for the front panels to match the existing cabinetry or even a metal plate to match the new oven?

Much appreciated,

Thanh

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @thanh22 

I suggest using ordinary Dressed Pine Timber you can then paint it the same stain and varnish as your existing kitchen cabinets. I don't recommend using metal as it is more difficult to trim and cut in a straight line. I suggest visiting your local store and going to the paint department and having a look at the stain and varnish sample board. From there you should be able to see which stain is close to your existing kitchen colour. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noted, thanks again EricL.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated on your project @thanh22 and reach out if you need further assistance or get stuck.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects