Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to buff out sandpaper marks on resin?

KathyB2
Just Starting Out

How to buff out sandpaper marks on resin?

I have a concrete kitchen bench which is finished with a resin.  It has scratches and I asked the maker how to fix them.  he suggested a light sand with 400 sandpaper and finish with a 600.  It has now very visible scratches from the sandpaper.  Can I buff them out with the Ryobi or is there a product that I could apply and rub in?

concrete bench 1.jpgconcrete bench 2.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to buff out sandpaper marks on resin?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KathyB2. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing scratches from resin.

Were you able to remove the original scratches with the 400-grit sandpaper? If so, were you able to remove the 400-grit scratches with the 600-grit sandpaper? If so, you need to keep progressing to remove the 600-grit scratches. Around the 1200-grit mark there will be no discernable scratch marks. You must remove all the previous scratches before moving on to the next grit. I'd suggest you pick up this pack which includes the 800 and 1200-grit.

Once you hit 1200-grit, you can look at buffing the surface if you desire a gloss finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, Bunnings Myaree doesn’t sell 800 grit or 1200. Do you know who else sells it? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KathyB2 

I've double checked with our team in Bunnings Melville, and they have the Flexovit 230 X 280mm Wet and Dry Sanding Sheets - 5 Pack in stock. This packet contains the 400, 600, 800, 1200grit sandpaper as a set. They also have the Flexovit 100mm x 1m 1200 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper Roll, it's located in Aisle 19 bay 3. 

The 800grit sandpaper is only available in the packet, but the 600grit is available as a roll if you need it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects