Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you clear drain pipes from grease build up?

moksie7
Finding My Feet

How do you clear drain pipes from grease build up?

I have noticed a lot of grease build up in the drain pipe at the back of the property and now when ever we use the kitchen water or use the washing machine the water overflows out and its quite stinky.

When i throw boiling water into the drain it does seem to melt away from of those grease build up but it doesn't drain away.

What is the best way to rectify this issue?

moksie7_0-1711326073581.png

Thank you!

BM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you clear drain pipes from grease build up?

Hello @moksie7 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about clearing your drain of grease build up.

In combination with the hot water, I propose using a Kinetic 6mm x 6m Wire Drain Auger. If you think the grease build up is close by. Using the auger will help loosen up the large chunky pieces that have come together inside the pipework. 

However, if the build-up is much further away and difficult to reach, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. The plumbers have a dedicated auger that is much longer and is connected to a motor that rotates to clear blockages. Their other specialty tool is a drain rod. It has a rubber disc at the end of a long flexible rod that acts like a plunger and pushes the blockage away.  

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, and goggles, when working on your project. Please take great care when handling hot, heavy water when tipping it into the PVC pipe.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do you clear drain pipes from grease build up?

Thank you so much Eric!

As we are renting we ended up having our agent send a plumber as the smell was becoming uncomfortable.   They did bring out all those tools that you had mentioned.

Will definitely take your recommendation for our own property for next time.

Cheers,

Ben

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects