Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I refurbish without replacing this kitchen cabinet door ?

Sherry9
Just Starting Out

How do I refurbish without replacing this kitchen cabinet door ?

There are some black water marks on the cabinet that have appeared over time.   Is there a way to make  it look clean without replacing the door all together?IMG-20230816-WA0001.jpgIMG-20230816-WA0002.jpgIMG-20230816-WA0003.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I refurbish without replacing this kitchen cabinet door ?

Hello @Sherry9 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about refurbishing your kitchen cabinet door.

The only way to remove the black stains is by sanding the damaged areas. If you sand one portion of the door it will be necessary to sand the rest of the door so that you can apply a uniform polyurethane seal on its surface.

If a lot of the doors are damaged, I suggest investing in a detail sander. This will allow you to get into the tight corners of the kitchen cabinet door. However, if you are only doing one door then a standard set like the Rocket Bulk Sanding Sheets will be enough to do the door. I also recommend using a Paint Partner Cork Sanding Block so that you'll get a uniform finish.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your kitchen door)

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your refurbishing project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects