Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair a dent in a plywood shelf?

gagan4370
Just Starting Out

How to repair a dent in a plywood shelf?

Hi Team, I have plywood shelf in the kitchen which has deep dent, just wondering about how to fix it. Thanks in Advance.

IMG_3361.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Dent repair

Evening @gagan4370 

😕 Rats.... Two options I can think of that you can do.

Option one

Using a sharp knife (stanley knife) cut that edge smooth and at an angle (so its not perpendicular) Then colour match if possibela dn touch up paint wise tho I think that will be hard. Id possibly find a permanant texta and colour it in after trimming the part that has lifted from the timber.

Option two

Remove and replace that edge. If you look inside your cupboard you hopefully find some screws that go through into that facing panel. Make sure you run a kinife along the silastic edge on the bottom/top before attaempting to pop it off. Once off then could replace it. Do you know the maker of your kicthen?

Id def try option one even without trimming it. Just to see.

MMmmm just thinking outside the square (edge) a bit :smile:

Option three (Now my favorite)

Potentially the easiest, have a look at these Aluminium edges

You could either just use a right angle or if you are lucky find an extrusion the same width as your panel and give it a solid edge so it cant be damaged as easily again?

I would also like to offer a warm welcome to Bunnings community :smile: Their of load sof ideas in here that you could find interesting.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dent repair

Hi @gagan4370,

It's great to see that @Dave-1 has already provided advice, and I like the idea of adding an aluminium edging. 

It would certainly be worth investigating with the manufacturer of the kitchen as to whether they have a replacement edging strip. If they do you could remove the current one and replace it. You'd then only need to use some touch-up paint on the front face of the panel. If this were a Kaboodle kitchen I'd be more than happy to contact them to enquire for you.

It would be difficult to repair the chip as a filler would need to be applied and sanded back. There's a potential that you will damage the surrounding laminate in this process. It is possible, but you'd need to be very careful. Once the chips are filled and the filler sanded, you could use a combination of grey paints to try and blend the repair in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects