Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I use Zinseer BIN as a primer under Aquanamel?

kaitolin
Just Starting Out

Can I use Zinseer BIN as a primer under Aquanamel?

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has used Zinseer BIN as a primer under aquaenamel before? I've made some doors for my laundry cupbboard out of pine and mdf (don't judge me, they're my first attempt at anything like this haha) and I am wanting to paint them soon and I already own Zinseer BIN so I was wondering if I could use that rather than Dulux PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker. Also, is Aquaenamel the best choice for a kitchen area? 

Thanks 

Kaitlin 

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 1.57.03 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I use Zinseer BIN as a primer under Aquanamel?

Hello @kaitolin 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about using Zinsser primer on your door.

I've placed an image below showing the four common types of Zinsser primer available at the store. Can you please have a look and indicate which one you have in your possession? Once you've shown us which one you have, I'll be able to give you better advice regarding using it with Dulux Aquanamel. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kaitolin
Just Starting Out

I have Zinseer BIN, the red tin, shellac based, I bought it about half a year ago from bunnings. Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 4.21.25 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kaitolin 

Thank you for that update on your Zinsser product. That particular primer that you have is actually very versatile and can be used both with oil and water-based topcoats. However, please have a good look at its consistency and make sure that it has not gone lumpy. The only drawback to this primer is that it has a short shelf life once it has been opened. 

For future reference, just keep in mind that when you are using Dulux Aquanamel make sure to use a water-based primer such as Dulux 1L PRECISION Stain & Mould Blocker.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects