Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I drill a waste spigot undersink for dishwasher drain outlet?

MambourinNewbie
Finding My Feet

Can I drill a waste spigot undersink for dishwasher drain outlet?

Hello,

I have a query.

We just moved into our new home and recently we bought an ASKO Dishwasher. 

I wanted to install the dishwasher myself as the sales guy told me I could if I knew how to. 

So I did install and I ran a Rinse and Hold cycle and noticed that the water wouldn't drain out and my dishwasher reported F11 water outlet error.

Running the same cycle with the water drain outlet pointed to a bucket didn't have any problem.

Turns out, the waste spigot undersink hasn't been drilled out (although it had a small red cap on it).

My Query:

1. Can I go ahead and drill out the waste spigot undersink so that dishwasher drain can be connected to it ? Or is it something

that only a licensed plumber "should" do?

Please advise. 

Screenshot_20231006_131034_Gallery.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I drill a waste spigot undersink for dishwasher drain outlet?

Hello @MambourinNewbie 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about drilling into your waste spigot.

Congratulations on moving into your new home and installing your dishwasher! The good news is yes, you can drill into the spigot so that you can connect your dishwasher outlet. My only tip is to drill carefully so that you don't accidentally over drill into the side of the spigot. Just remember to drill just enough that it allows the water to flow out freely.

However, if you don't have the necessary tools or wish to have a professional trades person do it. Then it's best to hire a plumber to do it for you.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric for your prompt response.

I am planning to use a 13mm drill (hope it would be sufficient).

Can you please also advise if I can use any one of the spigots? (I'd rather prefer the top one as it give me more room/access for drilling the spigot out).

Screenshot_20231006_131034_Gallery.jpg

Thank you.

Hi @MambourinNewbie,

Using a 13mm should be correct if it fits inside the spigot. Also, drilling out and connecting onto the top spigot would be fine; just make sure that the height complies with your dishwasher installation guide.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects