Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Arched bar nook

JoMarie-BB
Growing in Experience

Arched bar nook

We're currently building a new home and wanted to add an arched look to our bar nook, but didn't want to spend a lot to get it done professionally, so we headed to Bunnings to see if we could attempt to do it ourselves, and we're so proud of how it turned out

Steps

Step 1

Firstly, we installed the floating shelving, which fit our space almost perfectly.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 212533.png

Step 2

We then measured out the arch that would fit the space best, traced it out on the plywood and cut it out using a jigsaw.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 212424.png

Step 3

Once the arch was cut into the plywood, we used two off cuts of timber, cut them the same depth as the shelves and attached them into either side of the brick wall with screws.

Step 4

We then attached the arched plywood to the front of the timber off cuts with screws, and used liquid nails to attach the bottom bits over the front of the shelves, which helped cover the slight gaps either side of the shelves.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 212513.png

Step 5

Once attached, I filled all the nail holes with wood filler, and the gaps around the sides and top with No More Gaps.

Step 6

Once it was all dry, I used a mouse sander to sand down the wood filler, the plywood and the shelves.

Step 7

Lastly, I did one coat of primer on the plywood and shelves, and two to three coats of Dulux interior paint in the colour Vivid White to match our walls.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 213441.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Arched bar nook

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoMarie-BB. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for sharing your terrific project.

Congratulations on your DIY arched bar nook! I'm impressed that you managed to find a budget-friendly solution and even more so that you've managed to create an impeccable semi-circle. I've recently been cutting some circles in timber, and I've got to admit it's not as easy as it looks. The nook's really giving me some Mediterranean vibes and I love it!

I'm curious to know, now that you've successfully created this beautiful arched nook, what are your plans for further DIY projects to add your personal touch to your space?

Wonderful work!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects