Workshop
Ask a question

How to rat-proof a garden bed?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to rat-proof a garden bed?

veg gard.jpg

I have a raised garden bed for my veggies, but recently there has been an interloper that decimated the chard.    Last night I put 3 rat traps out and caught one well fed rat.   He could be a lone ranger - or he could have a close knit family and others will follow.    I want to protect my veggies and am considering building a cage around the existing bed that would be sealed at both ends but have access at each side.   If I did that - what's the best way to build it.    Maybe that's overkill and I should just persevere with the traps.  What do you think?

bergs
Making a Splash

Re: rat proofing garden bed

Hi @ennoh ,

I would suggest building a frame over your bed, but make sure you use solid mesh and small diameter.

Rats can get through anywhere their heads can fit through.

They can burrow as well.

You could make your frame so that it can be lifted off when not needed or with hinged sides for access. 

Also some rat bait laid where pets and birds can't get to it.

I have rat bait hidden all year round and can tell when they are active.

There is nothing worse than vermin getting to your produce before you can harvest.

Good luck,

Cheers @bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to rat-proof a garden bed?

Hi @ennoh,

Thank you for your question on rat proofing a garden bed.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @bergs. I was thinking along the same lines that you should install a mesh cage around the perimeter of the garden bed.

You could use some sturdy stakes such as these Growies 38 x 38 x 1200mm Hardwood Garden Stakes driven into the earth in the 4 corners and at the halfway point. You could then attach RapidMesh 900 x 1200mm 12.5 x 12.5mm Silver Wire Mesh Panels to the stakes around the perimeter using Jack Mesh Panel Fix Clips to fix the mesh in.

You could create some removable sections by drilling through the stakes and attaching the wire mesh with U Bolts and wing nuts. This would allow for easy removal and replacement, while still being sturdy enough to stand up to the weather and pests.

Let me know what you think and if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects