Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Will my trees recover from scale?

RachSyd
Growing in Experience

Will my trees recover from scale?

9BA06DB6-3836-458F-98C9-A4D5E9931AB3.jpeg

I am new to gardening and bought a place with a lovely garden including perimeter fence covered by bush, trees and foliage. Due to lack of my ignorance and lack of knowledge it has become infested with scale and I have lost a lot of the branches. We have cut back the trees and they are really bare in the section in line with the fence. Higher up there are leaves etc… Will the trees recover? It’s sad to see the state of them now. I wish I’d realised what it was sooner. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Will my trees recover?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RachSyd. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about scale.

You've come to the right place for assistance as the community is full of knowledgeable members all willing to lend a hand with your garden. With the correct treatment and care, I believe your plants have a good chance of recovering.

Have you used any products to try and treat the scale as yet? If not, then I'd suggest you give the plants a good spray with Yates 750ml Ready To Use Scale Gun Insect Pest Killer. You also might like to show us some close-ups of the leaves, including the undersides, to see if we can identify any other issues. Please remember your PPE, including a face mask, gloves and a long-sleeved shirt.

So that you know, lilly pillies are extremely susceptible to these kinds of infestations. It's unusual to see a tree like this that doesn't have some type of issue, so it's more about the type of plant than your lack of gardening knowledge. Here's a helpful guide on How to grow and care for a lilly pilly.

If you haven't fertilised since you've been in the property, it would be a good idea to use some native fertiliser. You might also like to apply some Seasol to assist with the plant bouncing back.

Let me mention @mich1972 to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RachSyd
Growing in Experience

Thank you, I have no idea what type of tree they are. Do you think they are Lilly Pillys?

I haven’t applied any products yet but yesterday a gardener did cut back a lot of the branches. That’s when I realised how bad it is. He is also going to spray with pesticide. 

What seasol product should I use?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd say they are almost definitely lilly pillies @RachSyd. The biggest indicators are the leaf shape, branch structure, and the fact they are infested with scale.

The Seasol concentrate would be your best bet. Water it down as per directions on the container.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Will my trees recover from scale?

Good morning @RachSyd It great to see you here at the Community. 😊 Looks like Lilly Pilly to me , very popular and common shrub to use as a hedge against a fence. Unfortunately they are susceptible to Scale Insects, treatment with a Horticultural Oil like - White Oil, Pest Oil or Eco Neem Oil . This treatment will smother and suffocate the Scale insects. They then dry out and die but don’t fall off. Just squish them with your finger and if it’s sticky it’s still alive and if it’s dry it’s dead. Also the Ants love Scale insects as they are attracted to the sweet sticky secretion they produce. You will need to spray a few times, all over , thoroughly approximately every 21 days as needed. Make sure not to spray in the heat of the day. Also make sure you wear protective gear whilst using an insecticide, gloves, mask, long sleeve shirt, glasses. Good luck with the treatment 😊

RachSyd
Growing in Experience

Thanks. I’m really upset that I didn’t know what it was & it has now killed most of the branches in the mid section. I got a gardener to trim it back & have just sprayed with Seasol. They are going to spray with pesticides next week hopefully.

It’s really bare. Do you think it will recover? It’s across 3 fences - most of the perimeter has been affected. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RachSyd 

It all depends on the number of leaves left on the tree. If there are enough leaves to produce photosynthesis, then your tree has a fighting chance to live. If the tree manages to get rid of the scale infestation, your trees odds of survival become that much greater. All we can do now is wait and see.

Eric

RachSyd
Growing in Experience

Garden recovery after white scale infestation

Hello

I’ve had a white scale infestation and despite cutting out a lot of the branches, the scale is still rampant especially at the top of the trees which are out of reach.

The area at eye line and along my perimeter fence is sparsely covered as my lilli pillies have been decimated. I’ve lost most of the foliage and privacy.

What can I plant that will grow quickly and cover the colourbond fence with foliage and grow high to give me privacy?

The area is partly shaded and it needs to be hardy and not affected by scale or other pests. 

Bonus points for flowers or pretty plants, low maintenance and not too expensive. This disaster as already cost me a lot! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden recovery after white scale infestation

Hi @RachSyd,

What condition are the current plants in? Would it be worth trying to save them? What have you treated the scale with so far? If there is any chance of saving them, I'd recommend picking up a white oil concentrate and mixing it up into a garden sprayer. With the garden sprayer on stream setting, you should reach well above head height. The stream will shoot a few metres. Ensure you saturate all the foliage as best as possible. The reason for suggesting this is that it would likely be quicker though still a lengthy process, to save and rejuvenate the current plants than to remove them and start with new plants. Unless you are going to purchase mature plants, it would take years to reach above fence height.

For plenty of great screening options, check out How to choose a screening plant, How to choose a hedging plant and How to create privacy by planting.

As a temporary solution, whilst you new plants establish, you might like to consider fence extensions or screening panels.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

RachSyd
Growing in Experience

Re: Garden recovery after white scale infestation

Thanks, up high there is greenery and lots

of scale. A gardener has removed 7 bins of foliage and sprayed it twice. 

I have also sprayed it with eco oil and plan to spray regularly. The lilly pillies are growing slowly. I’ve lost a lot of the branch structure as so many died. There are green leaves growing but the scale is still an issues.

There are 20-30 trees, I can’t afford to rip it up and start again. I hope they grow back and I just have to manage the scale. I doubt I will get it rid of it totally. 

Whilst it recovers, I want some ideas for privacy and fast growing foliage. 

Any ideas? It must be scale resistant. 

Should I also buy some lady bugs? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects