Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why is my hedge going black?

Johnnunya
Just Starting Out

Why is my hedge going black?

Good afternoon, 

I was wondering if anyone could help me as to why my hedge is going black? 

The leaves have no powder and have no change when rubbed. 

I'm not sure the type of hedge this is as it was here when I moved in. 

Is there anything I can do to bring this hedge back? 

Many thanks, 

John

20230819_121424.jpg

20230819_121406.jpg

20230819_121413.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why is my hedge going black?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Johnnunya. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about your sick hedge.

I'm going to call in our resident horticultural expert @Noelle on this one, as I really don't even have a guess of what that might be. The leaves have a bit of a purple hue to them, and the only reference I've come across is honey fungus on privet hedges. Whatever the issues, it does appear to be in the advanced stages, and I'd suggest that you might not be able to save this plant as I can already see a significant amount of dieback.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Johnnunya 

Welcome to the Community!

I think Mitchell may well be right - it is most likely a disease, probably fungal and soil-borne, that can take hold in older privet hedges that may also be lacking a little in the nutrition department. Long term overall health requires regular feeding as well as watering.

While privet is generally quite long-lived, there come a time when due to age it is not as resilient as it used to be and becomes susceptible to diseases like honey fungus (Armillaria). By the time symptoms are visible, it is usually widespread and the hedge is in overall decline. Sadly, it seems your hedge has reached that point.  It is not likely to come back from this.

If and when you remove it, the soil needs to be treated with a fungicide and then left fallow for at least a year before you replant. Don't plant privet in the same soil (even though it has been treated) but choose another low growing hedging plant if you wish to replace the existing hedge.

Good afternoon Noelle & Mitchell,

Many thanks for your speedy replies!

I'm in a rental property and would really like to save this plant, I understand the chance's aren't high but I'm willing to throw everything at it. 

If there is to be any hope, what would you recommend? Any fungicides / fertilisers? 

Many thanks, 

John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

As far as I'm aware @Johnnunya, the only effective remedy is to excavate and destroy all of the infected root and stump material. This material must be taken to the dump and not left around the yard. It's important to stop the spread of the disease to other plants. @Noelle might have some other advice.

It would likely be a good idea to notify the owner to see what they'd like to do. Perhaps they might have a professional come in and take a look.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects