Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of grass is this?

Will01
Finding My Feet

What type of grass is this?

Hi, complete beginner here - I’m trying to figure out what type of grass/weed this is? Trying to fix up my patchy lawn. Many Thanks in advance 

23B8444D-A68C-47D3-86D9-D18B505089A1.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grass / Weed type

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Will01. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about identifying grass types.

My money would be on Kikuyu. It looks to be quite a robust runner, similar to Buffalo's. However, the longer pointier leaf suggests to me that it is more likely to be Kikuyu. Identifying grass types can be an art form, so let me mention one of our horticultural experts, @Adam_W, to see if he can add to the conversation.

What you have there is a runner (stolen), and it's how several varieties of grass spread. You'll see them on common types like Buffalo, Kikuyu, Zoysia (less invasive runners), and couch. They are not a weed but can quite aggressively try to spread into unwanted areas like garden beds. The use of garden edging can inhibit their access. Here's a helpful guide on How to choose garden edging.

You also might be interested in checking out these helpful articles on lawn care: How to detect lawn problems and How to repair a lawn.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for replying!

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Will01 pretty sure @MitchellMc is right on the money there. Looks to be kikuyu.
It's a really robust and fast growing grass so can be a handful if you don't like mowing.

If you did want to stick with kikuyu you'll find there are some new varieties of it that are better suited for home gardens.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No problems @Will01! Remember we are here to help with all your home improvements and gardening questions, so reach out anytime you need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects