Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What to do about manure that has gone hard?

BOBA
Finding My Feet

What to do about manure that has gone hard?

I have 20 250mm pots with soil in them that I added too much MOO POO to and now they are solid masses and won’t drain. Can I just empty them out and add an equal quantity of cheap potting mix to it and repot them. I don’t want to waste the clumpy soil!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: SOIL DRAINAGEI

Hi @BOBA,

I'd suggest emptying the pots into a pile. Remove 3/4 of the MOO POO and then add the amount of soil you need back to the pile. Cut it all up thoroughly and mix it together with a shovel. You shouldn't plant into anything more than 1/4 of volume worth of manure. Even that is quite strong. 

Is this fresh manure, or has it been aged? It's never a good idea to use raw manure directly on plants as fresh manure can contain bacteria that can contaminate vegetables and cause human disease.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell The MOO POO was bought in bags from Bunnings and it is labelled MOO POO I was advised by someone in the Garden section at Kirrawee to mix it 50/50 with Garden soil so I did and it was okay and vegs and herbs grew quite well in it but after about 6 months it had turned into solid lumps in the pots and wouldn’t drain so I was after some way of breaking it up into a mix that drained. Your suggestion of removing the MOO POO is not feasible as it is all one solid lump now. But thanks for your speedy reply anyway.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise @BOBA, I am not familiar with that particular product. Is it a Bunnings product? I'm struggling to find it on our webpage or through Google searches.

Are there plants in these pots? If not, can you not turn them upside down and tap the bottom to knock the mix out? Is it too solid to remove at all? Maybe get a trowel in there and cut it up until it is loose enough to remove?

Could you provide a couple of images of the pots and MOO POO mix?

Mitchell

OK MITCH No need to apologise the MOO POO is now called COW MANURE BLEND and you stock it under the FINE FARMS label.

I have emptied the pots and will try mixing some well draining 

Potting mix with it to break it down. Thanks for your help.

If that doesn’t work I will just dump it, maybe spread it over some bare patches in the lawn and rake it in !

Thanks again Bye

BOBA

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like a good plan @BOBA. Feel free to reach out anytime you need a hand. We're here to help.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects