Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the white substance on this indoor plant and how to treat?

TommyTank007
Finding My Feet

What is the white substance on this indoor plant and how to treat?

Good morning everyone.

We have a few indoor plants at our business. One of them has a white substance. After a quick search it looks like it might be Powdery mildew.

There are a few tips and tricks however, I just want to post it here just in case there are other tips I haven't seen yet. 
Many thanks and have a great day. IMG-2178.jpgIMG-2177.jpgIMG-2176.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Could someone please identify this? And the best treatment? Thank you.

Hi @TommyTank007 and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

I suspect that those are mealybugs, which can be a real pest on palm trees. I would treat them using pest oil, which will suffocate the individual bugs.

If you want to put in the extra effort, you can get a head start by using a bucket of soapy water and a washcloth to physically remove as many of the mealybugs as possible before letting the plant dry and then applying the pest oil. Make sure to check down along the side of the trunk, where the individual fronds clasp on to the stem, because mealybugs can congregate in those little gaps and crevices as well.

Let me tag our friendly garden experts @Noelle and @Adam_W to see whether they have any other advice.

Cheers and good luck,

Brad

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

I think Brad's got this covered pretty well!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the white substance on this indoor plant and how to treat?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TommyTank007. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about identifying bugs on indoor plants.

It's great to see that @BradN has already provided some expert advice that's then been backed up by @Noelle. It looks like you're all sorted, but please reach out again if you continue having issues with your plant after applying the Pest Oil.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Brad and crew. 
Have a good weekend. 

Thanks, @TommyTank007 . I'm glad we could help!

By the way, make sure to cover both sides of every little leaflet when you're wiping the bugs off and/or applying the pest oil. Otherwise you'll only get half of them! I know how annoying these little critters can be... 

Cheers,

Brad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects