Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is chewing up my geranium stems?

morrisb
Just Starting Out

What is chewing up my geranium stems?

IMG_1666.jpeg

What is eating my geraniums at the stem? I’ve had infestations that have eaten the leaves and treated, but this morning found a few branches eaten right through and this at the centre. I’ve never known anything go for stems before?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what is chewing up my geranium stems?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @morrisb. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about what's eating your geraniums.

My money is on a gnawing animal like a mouse, rat, possum or potentially a rabbit. However, although I've come across anecdotal evidence of rats chewing geranium stems, these types of animals typically look to consume buds, flowers, and possibly leaves. I suspect it might have been a rat chewing randomly, looking for dinner in the wrong place.

Let me mention our couple of our gardening experts @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: what is chewing up my geranium stems?

Hi @morrisb 

I suspect @MitchellMc is right, having suffered similar damage on geraniums myself!  We discovered, after a neighbor moved house and took his chooks (and their abundant feed pellets) with him, that we had a minor rat plague. This type of damage had been observed on geraniums and other shrubs but it was only when a couple of dead very large ratties were found on our lawn (killed by local cats) that we identified the chewing culprits. We also found rat damage on a lime tree, where they had chewed through the bark on a few branches, which subsequently died.

It's take many months and more than a bucket or three of rat baits to finally (we hope) eradicate them!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects