Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these insects in my lawn and how to kill them?

shirleyzz
Just Starting Out

What are these insects in my lawn and how to kill them?

Hi,

I found these insects in my lawn about 2 weeks ago. What are they? I did a bit of research and seems like to be chinch bugs? How do I get rid of them? What kind of product I can get in Bunnings to kill them? I could not find any product particularly to kill them so I used "lawn beetle and grub killa" but I can still see 3-4 bugs occasionally. Thanks!

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Re: What are these insects in my lawn and how to kill them?

Hi @shirleyzz 

This may well be a Chinch bug - but they are not so common in Oz. Because they are not so common there aren't any products that will be specifically registered to control them. This means that I can't make a specific recommendation for you to use - but I think you are on the right track so far. What you do need to know is that it is likely that they have laid eggs in the soil already so it will take you a few applications to control them. It is very difficult to control the adult flying form so you really need to drench the soil like you would for any other lawn grub. 

Be patient - because not only will they eat your lawn roots they can leave behind toxins which slow down plant metabolism - so worth the effort. 

Thank you!@robchin 

So far, I only sprayed once on the 30th of Dec and the bugs were "gone" for few days and then they came back this morning. The population of the adult flying form seems not so large, but they have definitely laid eggs in the soil. I might need to do a few applications as you suggested. Thank you for your help!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shirleyzz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the insect in your garden.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @robchin. I propose being vigilant and keeping an eye out for these insects. The last thing you want to happen is to have them transfer to another part of the garden. 

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when using the chemicals in your garden.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects