Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions needed to cover back garden

wongedwoman
Getting Established

Suggestions needed to cover back garden

back.jpgI have a back garden that has volcanic rocks with sand undneath.

I do not want synthetic grass but I would like to cover the area to look presentable.  Any suggestions for a cheap way to do this.   Area 56 
Sqm.

Thanks

Pam

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: suggestions needed to cover back garden

Hi @wongedwoman,

Have you seen any inspirational images of what you might like the area to look like? Perhaps you might like to purchase a bulk delivery of pebbles. A white crushed pebble would likely look more presentable than volcanic rock. Purchasing bulk delivery pebbles is a relatively budget-friendly way of covering a large area, and certainly a cheaper option than buying it by the bag.

An inexpensive option might be to remove the volcanic rock back away from the fences one metre, mulch the area and create garden beds. This will reduce the amount of space you need to cover and provide interest to the fence line. While I'm on the topic of the fence line, have you considered painting it? Applying a budget-friendly fence paint like Walpamur 10L Ironbark Fence Finish would uplift its look and provide a great contrast with any greenery planted in front of it.

I'm keen to here more about what you like to achieve in this area and provide further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you for your quick response.  Do I need to put weed matting before I put pebbles?

As elderly, do you know whether Bunnings have such services?

Also the fence will be painted soon.

Pam

If you don't have any issues with weeds, I see no reason to add weed matting to the area, Pam (@wongedwoman).

Laying pebbles is not currently one of our In-Home Services. You might look towards services like Hi-pages or Air-tasker to find someone who could complete this work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much Mitchell.  You have given me so much valuable advice.

Work in progress for me.

Pam

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects