Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

CliveV
Getting Established

Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

How to kill roots of a massive, really massive, giant strelitza tree that has just been chopped down and is reshooting.  The giant strelitza roots have spread and heaved up a wall and part of a driveway both of which will have to be remedied.  The problem is that only a few days after an arboriculturist chain sawed the trunks/stems down to the base new shoots are already emerging  like green rockets. I asked for the stump to be ground out but, apparently, a stump grinder progress would be brought to a sticky halt by the plants going mushy.

I know that I need to dig the roots out when they're dead, but how to kill them first?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Strelitza (Giant Bird of Paradise ) tree roots problem

Hi @CliveV 

I mentioned this  the  other post drill big hole 13mm 100mm deep poor in full strength  zero or round up. if the shoots connected they should die two weeks.    

Pour petrol on shoots  do not ignite this should  kill two days time Petrol is  very toxic to plants use sparingly and make  sure no run off.

Let us  know which worked.

If you want revenge on the plants use blow torch  first.  then  petrol dont mix this u p lol  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @CliveV,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Great to see you have received a prompt reply from @Jewelleryrescue. As you can see, we have many members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day.  

Let me tag @Noelle to add her thoughts to the discussion on how to kill the roots.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @CliveV 

The suggestions of @Jewelleryrescue are close but using that volume of glyphosate undiluted (full strength concentrate) is an "off-label" use of Zero, Roundup or whichever brand you are using, so we cannot recommend that. The dosage should be one part of concentrate plus six parts of water (eg 10ml of glyphosate plus 60ml of water. 

(Undiluted concentrate is restricted to stem injection into growing tree trunks and using just 1ml into small holes.)

I would NOT use petrol in my garden to kill the shoots as it is highly toxic to the soil and persists in the soil for extended periods of time.  Using glyphosate injection into the roots should be more than adequate to also kill the shoots.

Hi @Noelle 

Thank you for confirming  trunk boring is a kill method all be it do not use full strength as it is  over kill .  and not recommended.  Also Confirming what I said  petrol is dangerous to use , 

Just to confirm what your saying

Once my lawn mower fuel tipped over and  approx 500ml poured out that patch of grass was dead for  50 cm round spot for months  nothing grew there possibly longer.

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

PLEASE NOTE:  That should be 1 part of glyphosate concentrate plus 6 parts of water for holes drilled into trunks - my previous post lost the "6" somewhere along the line.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries, I have edited your post for you @Noelle. Thanks again for sharing your expert advice with the community. Much appreciated.

Jason

CliveV
Getting Established

That was very helpful. Drilling with a 25mm spade bit soon cleared a hole in each section of stump. The drill "swarf" looked like coconut and was very wet. Bits got flicked off the drill bit and I now have a slight rash on both legs. I was not wearing protective clothing other than nitrile gloves for handling the glyphosate.

Is the sap toxic?  I don't know but the rash has persisted for over a week.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @CliveV

It could be an allergic reaction to the sap. If you've washed the area with soap and water and the rash persists, I recommend visiting your GP and having them have a look at it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Mandydl
Just Starting Out

Hi Noelle, does the Yates Tree and Blackberry Killer work as well for the same purpose?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects