Workshop
Ask a question

How to treat Silver princess eucalyptus fungal infection?

DanD1
Getting Established

How to treat Silver princess eucalyptus fungal infection?

Hi everybody - Am looking for some assistance re a silver princess gum issue as our silver princess looks to have quite a bad infection, I'm guessing fungal? 

It is a mature tree about 5m tall, but the affected leaves are quite widespread and reach high up the tree to near the top. It has been dropping leaves quite a lot for a while.

Would be eternally grateful if anybody could recommend an appropriate treatment.

Thanks - Dan 

1000015153.jpg

1000015152.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Silver princess eucalyptus - ?Fungal infection

Hi @DanD1,

Despite my efforts, I've not been able to pinpoint the cause of this discolouration. There are a few possibilities, but nothing I'm confident enough to call the reason. Let me mention our resident horticulturalist, @Noelle, to see if she has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DanD1
Getting Established

Re: Silver princess eucalyptus - ?Fungal infection

Thanks Mitchell 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to treat Silver princess eucalyptus fungal infection?

Hi @DanD1 

IMHO, I think it looks very like a fungal infection that is relatively common among eucalypts. I do not think it is myrtle rust as there does not appear to be any pustules present.  This disease is most often seen on the older leaves and is more prevalent when conditions have been humid - fungal diseases are always more common and widespread when humidity is high.

Spraying with a fungicide is not very practical especially on a taller tree. Allowing the soil to dry out a bit is often helpful as is raking up and removing fallen leaves, but generally the trees will survive without any specific treatment.

DanD1
Getting Established

Oh okay, thanks @Noelle  - It seems to be affecting the tree all the way to the top and looks quite bare so I'm worried it is dying. Is there anything else I can do to help the tree?

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@DanD1 , probably not much. Eucalypts that look like they are on the way out may often produce new shoots (epicormic growth) from the main branches and trunk, rather like trees damaged by fire will do. It is pretty much a waiting game unfortunately.

DanD1
Getting Established

Thanks @Noelle appreciate the help - Fingers crossed I guess 😬

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects