Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I remove mulch and will it attract termites?

charlotte1
Getting Established

Should I remove mulch and will it attract termites?

I bought this house recently. If I don’t plan to plant anything here, do I have to remove the mulch ? Will this mulch attract termites? Thank you. 

670CDB3E-2A1A-4FD6-8191-018BF984B280.jpeg

98C50094-4F1E-4F91-8111-FAD9114311B7.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden soil

Hi @charlotte1,

Are you in a termite prone area? If not, then the mulch is just an aesthetic product for covering the soil. You might like to rejuvenate it with some new mulch as it looks reasonably aged.

If you are in a termite prone area and see no need for the mulch, you can remove it. It's never a good idea to place mulch up against a dwelling if there is a chance of termite infestation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Should I remove mulch and will it attract termites?

Hi charlotte1 . Mulch is mainly used to keep weeds down and to help garden plants by retaining moisture so the soil doesn't dry out. If you remove the mulch you might find your garden beds quickly being overtaken by weeds!

If it's the look of the mulch that bothers you, you could try a wood mulch of a different colour, or use pebbles or other small stones as mulch. Pebbles and stones create a striking effect and will not attract termites. (Pest-control experts also recommend mulches made of cypress heartwood, cedar and tea-tree, which are all said to repel termites). If you're in a termite-prone area it's worth having a pest controller set and regularly check termite bait stations around your house. 

You might also want to keep an open mind about planting something in your raised garden bed. Some hardy, low-maintenance plants suitable for your area would add some nice green for you to enjoy as you look out your windows or walk past.

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @charlotte1

It's great that you've received fantastic recommendations from @BradN and @MitchellMc. Using pebbles and mulch that repels termites are both fantastic options. But the third option I reckon is the best one and that is to utilize your garden for planting. Adding a touch of green to your property is always a plus. Using drought-tolerant plants such as 150mm Lomandra Lime Tuff - Lomandra longifolia125mm Lavender French - Lavendula dentata - Select Range, and 300mm Blush - Camellia sasanqua is a good way to start your garden.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

Here is a link to one of our featured projects: Garden makeover with new beds and planting by @Nikkaz

Let me tag our experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @BradN,

Great to see you join in the discussion. It sounds like you have fantastic knowledge and experience to share with the community so we are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop.

Jason

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks, Jason. It's a nice place you guys have here!

Brad

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @charlotte1 if you're not in a termite-prone area I wouldn't be too worried. The walls painted white below the vents help too as any termite 'gantries' would be visible if they tried to enter (they would look like semi-circular lines of dirt as they build tunnels on a surface).
If you did want to top that mulch up use a Cypress mulch as it is considered termite repellent. Tea tree much is also said to be the same but I'm not a fan of its twiggy look.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects