Workshop
Ask a question

How to paint fibreglass outdoor plant containers?

hollydillabough
Just Starting Out

How to paint fibreglass outdoor plant containers?

17116878177705801786650638791276.jpg

Hello! I am looking to paint this painted fibreglass pot. What kind of paint should I use for this material, and will I need to completely sand off the existing paint?

Many thanks,

Holly

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting fibreglass outdoor plant containers

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hollydillabough. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting plant containers.

Is the surface textured at all? If so, you could potentially use an external acrylic paint like Dulux Weathershield on it. Due to the unknowns about the current paint, I'm not able to say whether the new paint will bond sufficiently with the old. You could sand back the current paint, but you'll run into a similar issue that there are not many paints designed for home D.I.Y. that state they are suitable for fibreglass. The White Knight Squirts range of paints is quite good at bonding to a range of surfaces, but once again, fibreglass is not a named surface on their technical specifications.

I'd recommend you do a test section in an inconspicuous location to judge how well they adhere to the surface before committing to the whole planter.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for your response!

Yes there is a light texture on it, but I'm not sure how much of that is the existing paint finish.

Would something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-340g-duramax-gloss-red-box-spray-paint_p0195371 work? Could I add a sealer to make it weather resistant?

20240330_161412.jpg

Hi @hollydillabough,

Dulux 340g Duramax Gloss Red Box Spray Paint is suitable for exterior use, so there is no need to add a sealer over it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects