Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lemon tree not fruiting

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Lemon tree not fruiting

I have an old lemon tree in my backyard. It used to fruit well until a couple of years ago.

please find attached a photo of the tree for reference.95417C46-ED2F-4012-83E6-BC7904C6CA62.jpeg2A9D0423-1C6F-4389-9A28-7109603C10F6.jpegF813C078-C7C3-494A-ACE4-3D77A00E7E42.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lemon tree not fruiting

Hi @Ngnra,

My first thought when looking at the quite unusual trunk structure is that they are sucker roots from a grafted base that have overgrown your grafted lemon tree. That's an unusual trunk for any lemon tree to have and you'd normally see a singular trunk that branches off above the soil. Here you have many smaller branches coming from the soil. That's a good indication this branch structure is coming from the rootstock, below a graft line, near the soil. Another key detail is the huge thorns on you plant; varieties these days don't have huge gnarly thorns.

Can you tell me if the entire tree bore fruit or if it was more so in the central area? Has any portion of the middle of the tree died off recently? I'm thinking that the fruit you were receiving was from the grafted lemon, and it's subsequently died off, leaving only the rootstock, which typically grows quite vigorously yet doesn't bear fruit or, if it does, in limited quantities. If it does bear fruit, it's generally seed ridden and not palatable. If this is an overgrown grafted lemon, I've indicated below in green what I believe could be your grafted lemon tree in the middle and then in red sucker roots.

This could, of course, be a lemon with an unusual trunk that is just not bearing fruit. When was the last time you fertilised the plant?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

lemon.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your reply.

I usually use compost annually.

Fruiting details don’t remember, but planted 2012 by gardener.

Have once pruned the tree in 2015 or so right down to the bottom.

what can I do now? Remove the tree and plant a new one?

Please advise.

RobPat
Building a Reputation

Mitchell’s explanation was excellent. I’m inclined to agree with him. You could prune those suckers that he’s highlighted in red away, but they’ll want to re shoot. So you’ll need to be tenacious with them. It’d be a shame to start again completely. If there isn’t any of the original graft growing, then why not graft a couple of varieties onto those root stocks. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Ngnra,

I am sorry to read your lemon tree has stopped fruiting. You've got a great suggestion from @RobPat to graft a couple of varieties on the existing roots as an option. @MitchellMc will be back online on Friday after a short break so let me tag our experienced garden members @Adam_W and @mich1972 to see if they have any further advice. I'll also tag our other resident DIY expert @EricL who will be online later today to check if he has suggestions as well. 

Katie

I agree with @MitchellMc Definitely looks like the rootstock has taken over. I would personally remove it but that’s up to you @Ngnra . Good luck with your lemon tree 😊

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Mitchell,

as advised,I have removed the suckers as indicated by red arrows.
please find attached the photo.E9594CB8-D8BE-40FA-A6ED-8B5FE2E3A7B4.jpegBE5DDA2B-8E87-4647-B264-E79467E2D52A.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Ngnra. Let's hope we see some fruit soon.

Jason

Ngnra
Cultivating a Following

Can I feed some citrus fertiliser or the liquid fertiliser?

RobPat
Building a Reputation

Re: Lemon tree not fruiting

Hello again, well those latest photos look great. I’m no expert but I’m a keen gardener. I’m thinking you will need to remove those suckers from under the soil. Right now they’re going to think they’ve had a good prune which will stimulate growth. If you can try remove them from where they’re shooting from the roots. Or at least below the original graft. 
re fertiliser. I liquid fertilise at the beginning of each seasonal change. If you can do it after a good rain, that’s best. Just remember to water the tree first. Then apply fertiliser. Citrus have a shallow root system and don’t like too much disturbance. You mentioned earlier about pruning back to the ground, I’m hoping you didn’t prune your actual graft completely off. As a rule Citrus don’t require a hard prune, really only need a tidy up. I hardly touch my Citrus when I prune. I’ll remove diseased or dead wood only. Good luck. Hope this helps. Nothing ventured nothing gained or Cuts and consequences. I appreciate and embrace the opportunity to learn. Enjoy your garden. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects