Just Starting Out

How to remove weeds from lawn?

  

E5F775B2-918D-4F12-A18D-CE4E9B65F53A.jpeg

31B73B46-A011-4DF6-B52A-680BB7DE97C8.jpeg

31E076D7-F5DC-4A05-8A9B-E4A935164D77.jpeg

6ABEE604-10B3-48A5-B3B1-9697FEC17EC7.jpeg

38D7628F-5F8B-4BBC-ABA0-82CC084A7D0D.jpeg

Hi Bunnings Community,

I have a lawn which is green overall and I do mow it regularly. However there is quite a bit of weed in the grass, in some areas of the lawn more than other. The weed types are dandelions, clover, broadleaf and possibly more.
I have gone through the weed removal article - but I don’t know if it is better for me to spray the entire lawn with a weed killer or use a selective spray. The description at the back of the general weed killer kills most of the weed but broadleaf, I’m also concerned about it killing my grass.

I don’t mind putting in the manual effort of removing the weed one by one but will that mean the weed won’t come back again?

I just don’t want to returf my lawn so anything other than that to fix up my lawn please.  
Would love some suggestions and guidance on this. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn with mixed weed and grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nida123. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about controlling weeds in a lawn.

The issue you'll face is that in some of your photos, there are more weeds than grass, so once you kill the weeds, you'll be left with an area devoid of grass. Unfortunately, this is an inevitable consequence of having weeds take over a lawn. You might need to re-seed or add sections of turf to fill these areas in.

I'd begin the process by spraying the whole lawn with Yates 4L BuffaloPro Hose On Lawn Weed Killer. It's safe for all common varieties of lawns and won't kill or effect your grass if applied as directed. It will knock out just about all your weeds, but it might take a couple of applications.

Attempting to remove all these weeds manually would be quite the task, and spraying them would make more sense.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects