Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is this mosaic virus on my philodendron?

mlam
Just Starting Out

Is this mosaic virus on my philodendron?

Hi guys! Was curious about this discolouration on a philodendron sodoroi that I got from Bunnings. And googling revealed all the recent mosaic scandals specifically on sodoroi in the US, so I’m a little paranoid with mine spittint out a leaf like this.

The plant has been flourishing and even the effected leaf appears healthy, just has lighter green patches (that I first suspected was variegation since the leaf is healthy). If anyone has any experience or advice, I’d be so grateful! There’s a lot of confusion and the big outbreak was overseas.  
I’ve chopped and isolated both the mother plant and the effected cutting. 

5EBF77F7-55BA-4F95-A5BF-7C1CB4D433A0.jpeg

E9738A9F-B659-416E-B075-2358833AAC36.jpeg

Some cuttings I got of a Pothos Emerald that was next to this plant are also suddenly appearing speckled which doesn’t seem as common (attached some images I’ve seen of similar things  variation, tho)

9C5590CB-0709-4566-AEC6-B3550A2319E6.jpeg

25EC27A0-6F8E-4F3D-8754-907208D0AFA5.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mosaic virus or paranoia?

Hello @mlam,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about the Mosaic Virus.

According to the garden forums I've been reading up on, the Mosaic Virus currently has no cure, and the only solution is to cut and burn the infected parts of the plant. One of the symptoms it shows are the new leaves coming out but not unfurling, thereby causing these new leaves to be starved of sunshine and causing them to wilt.

I recommend isolating any of the other plants that might have been infected.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mlam
Just Starting Out

Ty yeah I’m aware of what to do if it is the virus, I’m more trying to determine if these 2 plants indeed have the virus or not. 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mlam 

The patterns of variegation on the leaves of both these plants do not, in my opinion, show mosaic virus symptoms.  They are consistent with the variegation exhibited by these plants.  To the best of my knowledge, mosaic virus is not a problem in indoor plants in Australia due to the stringent hygiene measures and overall clean practices of our commercial propagators and growers.

Australia has incredibly strong quarantine and biosecurity laws for plant materials which protect our green life industries. Imported plant materials go through a very rigorous process before being released for propagation and distribution.

Your plants look quite normal to me.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is this mosaic virus on my philodendron?

Hi @mlam 

I suggest just observing the growth of your philodendron for the next few weeks. Should any unusual symptoms present themselves, please don't hesitate to post a picture. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects