Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I attach a vertical garden to my Colorbond fence?

Corey2
Just Starting Out

How would I attach a vertical garden to my Colorbond fence?

Hi, I'm looking to make a a vertical garden in my backyard on the Colourbond fences below, using the pocket squares as seen in the third photo. The area gets around 4 - 6 hours of sun a day. I'm wondering how I would attach the vertical garden to the fence or if there are any alternative solutions, Thankyou.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I attach a vertical garden to my Colorbond fence?

Hello @Corey2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your vertical garden.

It's great that you've decided to start up a vertical garden. Hanging your vertical garden on the Colourbond fence is possible, however, the drawbacks include staining and shortening its expected life span due to contact with the soil and water. There is also the possibility of the Colourbond bowing due to the weight of the garden itself. 

I suggest putting in two 88x88 posts and some 70x35 timber pieces to form a frame for your vertical garden. You can fix the timber braces in place with standard galvanized screws. This guarantees that the garden will not sag or swing and will be able to put up with the weather. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how to set it up.

There is also the option of building a raised garden bed with a provision for vertical gardening - How to build a vertical garden. In this guide, you can choose to build a raised garden bed with posts and omit the vertical planters.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects